At Sumner Law Group, LLC, we know the pain and frustration that car crash victims face. With more than 50 years of combined experience, our dedicated attorneys have advocated for crash victims across Clayton who were struggling to take on large insurance companies. Our respected legal team has the skills and the resources to fight for the full compensation you need to move forward with your life after a serious collision.
Contact our firm today for a free case review to discuss how a car crash lawyer in Clayton, MO, can help you during this stressful time.
How a Clayton Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You
If you’ve been hurt in a car crash in Clayton, a lawyer from Sumner Law Group, LLC, could take the pressure off you by:
- Reviewing your case for free and providing the personalized attention you need during this difficult time. At our law firm, you will work directly with your attorney, who will always be available to answer your questions and keep you up to date on the progress of your case.
- Using our legal team’s decades of combined experience and resources to leave no stone unturned in preparing a strong, persuasive, and effective case for full compensation. We will investigate your car crash thoroughly to secure all available evidence. Our team will also collaborate with experts when necessary to determine how the crash occurred and identify the parties at fault.
- Preparing your case for trial so that the insurance companies know we are ready and willing to fight for the maximum amount you are owed. Although we will pursue an efficient resolution of your claim in a negotiated settlement, our team will also be ready to advocate for you in court if that’s what is best for you.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Car Accident in Clayton, MO
After a collision in Clayton, these steps could help you protect your right to compensation:
- Save any evidence you have collected. This includes photos or videos from the crash scene, contact information for witnesses, a copy of the crash report, and any notes you have made documenting how the crash happened.
- See your primary care physician or another doctor to get examined for injuries. Follow any treatment instructions you receive, including orders to get imaging tests, follow up with a specialist, or take time off work.
- Keep all paperwork you receive in one place. This includes medical bills, invoices, letters from insurance companies, and any other documentation related to your crash and injuries.
- Avoid discussing the wreck on social media. Don’t post photos or videos of yourself while still undergoing treatment for your injuries. Insurance companies often use injured victims’ social media accounts to undercut the credibility of their claims.
- Speak to a car crash attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options. An experienced injury attorney could investigate the crash, identify the liable parties, and seek the compensation you’ll need to be made whole again.
How Much Is My Clayton Car Accident Settlement Worth?
If you’ve been hurt in a car crash in Clayton, you might be entitled to pursue compensation for your losses. However, no one can tell you right from the start how much your case is worth. That will depend on the severity of your injuries, the details of the crash, and the insurance coverage available.
Some of the common types of compensation available for crash victims include:
- Hospital bills and other medical expenses
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Home health services or other long-term care
- Loss of income from missed work
- Reduced earning capacity and loss of future income
- Physical pain and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment or quality of life due to injuries and disabilities
- Property damage, including repair costs for your car
- Loss of consortium, or compensation for your spouse for his or her loss of your companionship and affection
How Long Do You Have to File a Car Accident Lawsuit in Missouri?
Missouri’s statute of limitations gives you five years from the date of the wreck to file a lawsuit against the party or parties responsible for your injuries. If you file your lawsuit after the limitations period on your claim expires, the opposing party can file a motion with the court to permanently dismiss your case. That means you can lose your right to seek financial compensation if you don’t take action in time.
Car Crash FAQs
What if I am partly to blame for my auto accident?
Even if you share part of the responsibility for a car crash, you can still recover compensation from the other parties at fault. Missouri state law uses the pure comparative negligence rule. This states that a person’s share of fault for injuries from a car crash will not bar a claim for compensation from others who also bear fault.
However, if you’re partially responsible for the wreck, your compensation may be reduced in proportion to your share of fault. For example, if you incurred $10,000 in losses from a car crash and you were found 25 percent responsible for it, your compensation may be reduced by $2,500 to reflect your share of fault.
How long will my car accident case take?
It’s difficult to estimate how long any car crash claim may take. But several factors can affect the length of a case. These include the complexity of the underlying facts and circumstances, the severity of your injuries, the insurance company of the at-fault driver, and the amount of coverage they have.
If the other driver accepts liability for the crash and your treatment for your injuries is complete, it may take only a few months to reach a settlement on your claim. However, if liability becomes an issue in the case, if you require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation, or if your losses exceed the available insurance coverage of the at-fault driver or drivers, it can take longer to reach a resolution.
If your claim goes to court, it can take several months to several years if the case goes all the way to trial. Your Clayton car crash attorney will work to make sure your claim moves as efficiently as possible, while also protecting your best interests.
How much does a car accident lawyer charge?
Nothing until we win. At Sumner Law Group, LLC, we offer free case reviews with prospective clients to give you a chance to get to know us and to help you understand your legal options. If you hire our law firm to represent you in your car crash claim, you will owe no fees upfront. Our attorneys only get paid if and when we win compensation for you in a settlement or at trial.
Car Accident Statistics in Clayton, MO
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, in one recent year, Clayton recorded:
- One fatal motor vehicle crash
- 113 crashes resulting in injuries
- 447 crashes resulting in only property damage
These wrecks led to a total of one fatality and 154 injuries.
Talk to a Car Accident Lawyer in Clayton, MO, Today for Help
If you were hurt in a car crash caused by a careless or reckless driver, contact Sumner Law Group, LLC, today for a free, no-obligation consultation with an experienced Clayton personal injury lawyer. Our law firm represents injured clients on a contingency fee basis. This means you won’t have to pay us anything out of your own pocket for us to take your case. Instead, we will handle all the legal legwork, and we won’t collect a fee until we recover compensation for you. If you don’t get paid, we won’t get paid.
There’s nothing to risk and everything to gain by contacting us to discuss your case and how we could help, so call now or fill out or contact form online.