MetroLink is the light rail service for the Greater St. Louis area that runs from Lambert St. Louis International Airport and Shrewsbury, across the Missouri-Illinois border to Fairview Heights, Illinois, and Scott Air Force Base in Shiloh, Illinois. The system is operated by Metro Transit/Bi-State Development, an interstate agency formed by Missouri and Illinois. Metro Transit also operates the MetroBus service for the greater St. Louis region.
Unfortunately, MetroLink and the passengers who ride the service are too often targeted by criminals. If you have been the victim of criminal or violent activity while riding MetroLink, you need to learn about your right to pursue financial compensation for your losses. At Sumner Law Group, LLC, our attorneys use our 50-plus years of collective legal experience to fight for those who have been hurt in incidents that could have been prevented. Our team has the skills and the resources necessary to demand full compensation for MetroLink crime victims.
Contact our firm today for a free case evaluation with an experienced MetroLink crime lawyer.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for MetroLink Crimes?
Depending on the circumstances of the criminal activity you suffered on MetroLink, several parties can be held responsible for your injuries and losses:
- The criminal perpetrator, who can be held liable in a personal injury claim based on assault and battery or trespass to property
- MetroLink, which might be held accountable for injuries and property damage in a negligent security premises liability claim
- Contractors that may be responsible for various elements of security related to MetroLink transportation
Understanding the Difference Between Criminal vs. Civil Cases
When most people think of getting justice after a crime, they think of criminal punishment. However, victims may also pursue justice in the form of financial compensation through a civil lawsuit. The two types of cases are very different.
- Criminal case. In a criminal case, the state seeks to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused perpetrator committed the charged crime. If convicted, the defendant will have a sentence that may include jail or prison time, fines, community service, and other consequences. The perpetrator may also be required to pay compensation, known as restitution, to the victims of the crimes.
- Civil case. In a civil case arising from criminal activity, the victims of the crime seek financial compensation from those parties responsible for the victims’ injuries and losses. Responsible parties may include not only the perpetrator of the crime but other parties whose negligence facilitated the commission of the crime.
Compensation for MetroLink Crime Victims
Being victimized by criminal activity on MetroLink can leave you with physical, emotional, and financial damages. If you suffered injuries as a victim of MetroLink-related crime, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical expenses to treat the injuries you’ve suffered
- Long-term care costs for debilitating injuries or disabilities, such as physical rehab and mental health therapy
- Lost income for missed work during your recovery
- Lost earning potential if disabilities make it difficult for you to regain your earning capacity
- Lost quality of life due to physical disfigurements or due to difficulties of performing the tasks of daily living or participating in activities you once enjoyed
- Pain and suffering, or the physical and mental anguish caused by your injuries
- Property loss for damaged, destroyed, or stolen personal items
Time Limit for Filing a MetroLink Injury Claim
Under Missouri’s statute of limitations for personal injury, you typically have five years from the date of your injury to file a lawsuit for compensation. However, claims against Metro Transit, which operates the MetroLink, have a much shorter time limit because these cases are against a government agency. These claims must be filed within 90 days. So it is crucial that you speak with a knowledgeable MetroLink injury lawyer as soon as possible.
How Our MetroLink Crime Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been the victim of a crime on MetroLink, our firm can help you pursue financial compensation by:
- Conducting our own thorough investigation into the incident that caused your injuries and recovering all relevant evidence including surveillance camera footage, police reports, eyewitness statements, and scene photos
- Tapping into our network of experts in fields such as security and medicine to help us develop a strong, effective, persuasive argument to hold all relevant parties, including the perpetrator who injured you and Metro Transit, liable for your injuries and losses
- Filing your claim for compensation with the at-fault parties, and negotiating with insurance adjusters and attorneys for a settlement that provides you with fair and full compensation
- Preparing the complaint to file your case in court, if necessary, to ensure that we pursue every available option for getting you the maximum compensation you deserve
After you have been injured by a crime on MetroLink, let us take the stress off you by managing all the details of your legal claim. Contact Sumner Law Group, LLC, today for a free consultation.