If you were injured in a truck accident in Clayton, Missouri, the dedicated truck accident attorneys of Sumner Law Group, LLC, want to help you. We have extensive experience with Missouri truck accident cases. Our lawyers have secured millions of dollars in verdicts on behalf of our clients, including people who’ve been injured by negligent truck drivers, the trucking companies that employ them, and other parties.
Find out why so many others have trusted us to protect them and their families in the aftermath of a devastating truck wreck. Contact us for a no-cost consultation with one of our Clayton truck accident lawyers today.
What Makes Truck Accident Claims So Complex?
Truck accidents and the lawsuits that follow them can be significantly more complex than standard car accident cases for reasons such as:
- Commercial trucks and truck drivers are subject to unique laws and regulations that do not apply to other vehicles or drivers.
- The injuries in truck accidents tend to be more severe, resulting in more expensive claims and more resistance from the insurers responsible for paying those claims.
- Trucks typically carry insurance policies with much higher limits than cars – often $1 million or more.
- More parties may be at fault for a truck accident, such as trucking companies, truck maintenance companies, truck owners, cargo owners, and cargo loading teams.
- Different types of evidence are available in truck accident cases, such as data from “black box” recorders, trucker’s hours of services logs, and trucking company hiring and maintenance records.
Who Is At Fault for My Missouri Truck Accident?
Depending on the circumstances surrounding a Missouri truck accident, one or more of the following parties could be at fault:
- The truck driver if he or she was distracted, intoxicated, or otherwise negligent when the accident occurred.
- The trucking company if it was responsible for hiring an unqualified truck driver or failing to properly maintain its trucks. If the driver was an employee and not a truly independent contractor, the trucking company could be vicariously liable for the trucker’s negligence.
- Truck component manufacturers if they manufacture and distribute faulty truck components that fail and cause a crash.
- Cargo loading teams if they overload cargo into trucks’ trailers or fail to properly balance or secure the cargo they load.
How a Clayton Truck Accident Attorney Can Help You
If you were injured in a Clayton semi-truck accident, the Sumner Law Group, LLC, can help you by:
- Explaining your legal rights and options for recovering compensation
- Conducting an independent investigation into the truck accident
- Identifying and preserving critical evidence to support your case
- Communicating with other parties and their attorneys on your behalf
- Managing important legal documents and deadlines on your behalf
- Negotiating forcefully to maximize the value of your insurance settlement
- Representing you in court if the insurance company refuses to agree to a reasonable monetary settlement
Causes of Truck Accidents in Clayton, MO
Every truck wreck is different, but many truck accidents in Clayton, MO, occur as the result of one or more of the following factors:
- Distracted driving – Drivers focused on text messages and other distractions are more likely to overlook other road users and cause dangerous truck accidents.
- Impaired driving – Alcohol and intoxicating drugs – illegal and legal – compromise safe driving abilities such as depth perception, judgment, and reaction time.
- Fatigue – Extreme drowsiness can be just as dangerous as intoxication, affecting drivers’ visual perception and ability to respond swiftly to imminent traffic threats.
- Speeding – Exceeding posted speed limits or driving too fast for conditions reduces the time drivers have to react to unexpected changes in traffic. Speed also makes injuries worse when a crash occurs for any reason.
- Driver inexperience – Younger drivers and those with limited experience tend to have underdeveloped judgment and reflexes needed to save lives on the road.
- Failure to obey traffic rules – Drivers who fail to yield the proper right-of-way or follow posted traffic signs are more likely to cause devastating wrecks.
Injuries Caused by Truck Accidents in Clayton, MO
Truck accidents in Clayton frequently cause serious injuries such as:
- Back and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Lacerations and burns
- Amputation and disfigurement
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Soft tissue strains, sprains, and tears
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Compensation in a Truck Accident Claim
With the help of a knowledgeable Clayton, MO truck crash lawyer, you could obtain the following types of compensation from a successful truck accident claim:
- Medical expenses – Past, ongoing, and projected future costs of the medical care you need to treat your accident-related injuries
- Incidental costs – Out-of-pocket expenses you incur as a result of the truck accident, such as costs of transportation to and from medical appointments
- Lost wages – The value of any losses in your take-home pay from missed time at work while you heal from your truck accident injuries
- Lost earning potential – The projected value of losses in your lifetime earning potential if your accident-related injuries result in a disability that prevents you from returning to your usual job or career path
- Pain and suffering – The subjective costs of the physical pain and emotional suffering you endure as a result of the accident and your subsequent injuries
- Repair costs – Repair or replacement costs for your vehicle if it was damaged as a result of the truck accident
The Time Limit for Filing a Truck Accident Lawsuit in Clayton, MO
If you intend to file a truck accident lawsuit in Clayton, Missouri law says you must do so within five years of the date of the accident. If you fail to take action within this five-year period, the court will have grounds to dismiss your case. If this happens, you will lose your right to demand compensation for your losses, no matter how strong your underlying claim may be.
What to Do After a Semi-Truck Accident
If you are involved in a semi-truck accident in Clayton, you can protect your legal rights and your ability to recover compensation by:
- Collecting as much information as you can from other drivers, vehicle passengers, and eyewitnesses present at the scene
- Taking photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and visible injuries
- Obtaining a copy of the police accident report, which may contain useful information such as official determinations of fault and toxicology test results
- Avoiding discussions of the accident with anyone but your lawyers and abstaining from social media activity while your case is still pending
- Holding on to medical records, bills, pay stubs, and other documents that can act as evidence of the causes or effects of the truck accident
- Contacting a truck accident attorney to discuss the details of your case in a free initial case review
Talk to a Truck Accident Lawyer in Clayton Now
When you need an experienced trial attorney on your side, look no further than the Clayton truck accident lawyers of Sumner Law Group, LLC. We represent victims of severe truck crashes, and we have specific experience taking on trucking companies and their insurers. Let us put our skills to work for you.
Call us or reach out to us online for a free consultation today.