Multi-vehicle accidents in St. Louis can lead to chaos, confusion, and catastrophic injuries. Because these accidents are complex because they involve multiple parties, seeking compensation for resulting injuries can present unique challenges.
At Sumner Law Group, LLC, our dedicated team of St. Louis car accident attorneys are passionate about fighting for the rights of people who have sustained losses in multi-car collisions. If you have suffered injuries in a chain-reaction accident in St. Louis, you do not have to face this situation alone.
Contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about how we can help you.
What Is a Multi-Car Accident?
A multi-car accident, also known as a chain-reaction crash or a pileup, occurs when more than two vehicles are involved in a collision. These accidents often happen on busy highways or interstates.
As a multi-vehicle accident law firm in St. Louis, we see these cases often and understand the complexities involved in sorting through the aftermath. Our attorneys have the knowledge and resources to determine who is liable, negotiate with multiple insurance companies, and take your case to court if necessary.
What Causes Multi-Vehicle Car Accidents?
Several factors can contribute to a multi-vehicle car accident, creating a perfect storm of danger and destruction on the road. Some of the elements that can lead to a chain-reaction collision include the following:
- Reckless Driving – Reckless driving might involve a driver who is speeding, making aggressive or improper lane changes, or failing to yield the right-of-way, for example. Such behaviors can easily trigger a chain-reaction crash in St. Louis, as one driver’s negligence can impact many others on the road.
- Following Too Closely – When drivers tailgate, they don’t leave enough space and time to react to emergencies down the road. Tailgating crashes can involve multiple vehicles by pushing stopped cars into each other. Sometimes, a tailgater may have too little time to avoid cars involved in a previous crash.
- Distracted Driving – Distractions also lead to many multi-vehicle accidents. Whether a driver is texting, eating, or otherwise not paying attention to the road, a momentary lapse in focus can result in a catastrophic multi-car collision.
- Driving Under the Influence – Impairment due to drugs or alcohol is another common cause of multi-car pileups. These substances severely impair a driver’s ability to operate a vehicle safely. They can slow reaction times, blur vision, and lead to poor decision-making. These factors can all trigger a St. Louis freeway pileup.
- Inclement Weather – Weather conditions can also play a significant role in causing multi-vehicle wrecks in St. Louis. Rain, snow, fog, or icy conditions can reduce visibility and make roads slippery, making it difficult for drivers to control their vehicles. Inclement weather can also affect motorists’ ability to stop in time to avoid a collision, particularly if they do not exercise the higher level of caution necessary in these conditions.
- Mechanical Issues – Mechanical problems, such as brake failure, tire blowouts, or steering malfunctions, can also lead to a multiple-car crash in St. Louis. A sudden mechanical failure can cause a driver to lose control of their vehicle, possibly triggering a chain-reaction collision.
Types of Multiple-Vehicle Car Accidents in St. Louis
There are many types of multiple-car crashes that our St. Louis car accident attorneys handle, including these examples:
- Highway collisions
- Interstate accidents with multiple cars
- Freeway pileups
- Accidents at intersections
- Weather-related pileups
Each type of accident has its own unique set of challenges when it comes to determining liability and seeking compensation for damages.
What Are Possible Injuries from a Chain-Reaction Accident?
Injuries from a chain-reaction accident in St. Louis can be severe and varied due to the chaotic nature of these crashes. Here are some examples:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are common in multi-vehicle car crashes. These injuries can range from mild concussions to severe brain damage. TBIs can result in long-term cognitive impairment, which can affect memory, concentration, and emotional regulation.
- Spinal cord injuries can also occur, which may lead to partial or complete paralysis. These injuries can dramatically affect an individual’s quality of life, necessitating lifelong medical care and assistance.
- Fractures and broken bones are common injuries in multi-vehicle accidents. These injuries range from simple fractures that heal relatively quickly to complex breaks requiring surgery and extensive rehabilitation.
- Internal injuries are also common in chain-reaction crashes. These can involve damage to organs such as the lungs, heart, liver, and kidneys. Internal injuries can be particularly dangerous as they are not always immediately apparent following an accident.
The severity and chaotic nature of multi-vehicle accidents mean that fatalities can result. These tragic outcomes are a grim reminder of the devastating consequences of negligent driving.
No matter the nature of your injuries, our St. Louis multi-vehicle accident lawyers at Sumner Law Group, LLC, are ready to fight for the compensation you need to aid in your recovery.
Determining Liability for Damages Caused by a Multi-Vehicle Car Crash
Determining liability in a St. Louis multi-car collision can be complex, as several parties may be at fault. Our experienced multi-vehicle accident attorneys in St. Louis can analyze the accident, gather evidence, consult with experts, and hold the responsible parties accountable. We will fight relentlessly to help you recover the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and losses.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim for a Multi-Vehicle Accident in St. Louis?
In Missouri, you have a limited timeframe to file a personal injury claim. This period is dictated by the statute of limitations. Typically, this period is five years from the date of the accident. However, given the complexity of multi-vehicle wrecks in St. Louis, we strongly advise contacting our attorneys as soon as possible after the accident. Doing so will allow us to begin gathering evidence and building a solid case for you.
Contact Our Experienced St. Louis Multi-Vehicle Accident Lawyers
If you have suffered injuries in a St. Louis car accident involving multiple vehicles, it is crucial to act quickly. The seasoned legal team at Sumner Law Group, LLC, is ready to help. Our St. Louis multi-vehicle accident lawyers have the experience, knowledge, and resources to tackle these complicated cases.
Contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your case and learn how we can assist you in your fight for justice.