Left-turn accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, leaving consequences that last a lifetime. If another driver hits and injures you in a left-turn collision, you might incur medical bills, lost income, and other significant expenses. You might also experience pain, suffering, and emotional distress. If that sounds like your current situation, you should know you could be entitled to compensation for your personal and financial losses.
If you’re struggling to recover from a left-turn accident in St. Louis, the experienced car accident attorneys at Sumner Law Group, LLC, want to help you demand the maximum compensation you deserve. Our team is here to protect your rights and hold the at-fault party accountable for your accident-related losses.
Contact Sumner Law Group, LLC, today for a free consultation with one of our St. Louis left-turn accident attorneys. When winning means everything, you need our dedicated trial lawyers.
Why Are Left-Hand Turns So Dangerous?
According to a crash causation study from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), vehicles turning left at intersections accounted for 22.2 percent of critical pre-crash events in a three-year study period. Left turns are among the few driving maneuvers that require motorists to drive across lanes of oncoming traffic, putting them directly in harm’s way.
What Causes St. Louis Left-Turn Accidents?
Various factors can contribute to left-turn accidents, most of which relate to driver negligence. Here are common causes of accidents while turning left in St. Louis:
- Failing to yield – One of the most common causes of left-turn accidents is the failure to yield the right-of-way to oncoming traffic, which frequently happens at intersections.
- Running red lights – Drivers who run red lights put themselves and others at greater risk of colliding with left-turning vehicles.
- Misjudging speed – When making left-hand turns, drivers might misjudge the speed of oncoming traffic and crash, particularly if they are speeding or driving too fast for road conditions.
- Distracted driving – Distractions like text messages or passenger conversations could take a driver’s eyes or mind off the road just long enough to miss a left-turning driver.
- Impaired driving – Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol often have slower reaction times and struggle to judge distance or speed accurately, raising the risk of left-turn accidents.
Common Left-Turn Car Accident Injuries
Left-turn accidents can result in a range of injuries, including the following:
- Head injuries – These might include skull fractures, concussions, and traumatic brain injuries (TBI).
- Neck and back injuries – Whiplash is a common neck injury in car accidents that occurs when the head jerks forward and backward suddenly, damaging the muscles and ligaments of the neck.
- Spinal cord injuries – Injuries to the spinal cord are extremely serious and can result in paralysis or loss of feeling and movement below the injury site.
- Internal injuries – These can include broken ribs, collapsed lungs, bleeding, and internal organ damage.
- Limb injuries – Left-turn accidents can result in broken bones, sprains, strains, amputations, and dislocations in the arms, legs, hands, or feet.
- Lacerations and contusions – Left-turn accidents often cause cuts and bruises, which might heal on their own with time or require medical attention.
Determining Liability in a St. Louis Left-Hand-Turn Accident
In most scenarios, traffic laws require left-turning drivers to yield the right-of-way to oncoming drivers. Therefore, the left-turning driver will often bear liability for a left-turn accident.
However, there are some instances in which the fault would not lie with the left-turning driver. For example, if an oncoming driver ran a red light and collided with a left-turning driver, the red-light runner would likely bear responsibility. Similarly, if a left-turning driver has a green arrow light indicating they have the right of way at an intersection, they might not be at fault for resulting left-turn accidents.
Ultimately, liability in a left-turn accident will depend on the specific facts and circumstances of the case. Our St. Louis car accident lawyer can review the details of your case, investigate the accident, and gather valuable evidence to demonstrate liability for your injury claim.
Recovering Damages After a Left-Hand-Turn Accident
If you suffered an injury because of someone else’s wrongful behavior, you could pursue compensation from the at-fault party. Our St. Louis left-turn accident lawyers can guide you through the process of filing a car accident claim and seeking damages (money) from the other driver’s insurance coverage.
With our lawyers’ help, you could recover compensation for the following accident-related losses:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages and benefits
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Car repair or replacement costs
Why You Need Our Lawyers After a Left-Turn Accident in St. Louis
If you suffer an injury in a left-turn accident, our knowledgeable attorneys can help you through the aftermath. While you have many options for legal representation in St. Louis, here are five key reasons why Sumner Law Group, LLC, is the right choice for you:
- Experience – Our lawyers have more than 50 years of combined legal experience. We can handle any curve ball the insurance companies might throw at you because we’ve seen them all before.
- Results – Our firm has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for local accident victims like you. We know what it takes to deliver real results.
- Reputation – Our attorneys have earned a reputation as formidable advocates and aggressive negotiators for our clients. Insurance companies know we mean business.
- Client service – Our clients work directly with lawyers, not case managers or paralegals. Our attorneys are always ready to answer your questions and never more than a phone call away.
- No upfront costs – We never charge any upfront costs to begin work on your case, and we only get paid if we succeed in winning you compensation.
Contact Our St. Louis Left-Turn Accident Lawyers Now
A left-turn accident can be a traumatic experience that leaves you in physical, emotional, and financial pain. Sumner Law Group, LLC, is ready to explain your options, protect your rights, and pursue the compensation you need.
Contact us today to get started with your free consultation.