Broken bones are among the most common injuries that occur in traffic crashes. Yet the frequency of these injuries does not make them any less painful or disruptive to your life. They can range from minor breaks to severe compound fractures requiring invasive surgery and extensive rehab, resulting in overwhelming psychological and financial stress.
If you suffered a broken bone in a car accident in St. Louis, you need an experienced personal injury attorney on your side. At Sumner Law Group, LLC, our aggressive car accident lawyers have helped many victims recover compensation for broken bone injuries. We want to help you too.
Call our offices or contact us online now for a free case evaluation to learn more about your legal options.
How Our St. Louis Car Accident Lawyers Help with Bone Fracture Cases
Choosing the right legal representation can make all the difference in your car accident case. At Sumner Law Group, LLC, we have over 50 years of combined experience fighting for justice and full compensation for car accident victims with broken bones in St. Louis. We can support you by thoroughly investigating the accident, collecting and analyzing medical records, consulting with experts, and obtaining all necessary evidence to build the most robust case possible.
We have a successful history of fighting insurance companies for fair settlements and are unafraid to take cases to trial when necessary. Best of all, we offer our excellent services at no risk to you, as you will pay us nothing unless we recover compensation for your losses.
What Causes Fractured Bones in Car Accidents?
Bone fractures occur in many auto collisions due to the immense forces involved. Common causes of fractures include:
- Direct impact between vehicles
- Impact with objects like utility poles or trees
- Ejection from the vehicle
- Crushing injuries when part of the car collapses inward
- Sudden stops that cause unrestrained occupants to strike the vehicle’s interior
- Airbag deployment
- Rollover accidents
Whatever the cause, you deserve compensation if the accident resulted from another party’s negligence.
Common Types of Bone Fractures from Car Accidents in St. Louis
Virtually any bone in the body could sustain a fracture in a car crash. A few examples of common bone fractures suffered in St. Louis car crashes include:
- Broken ribs – Rib fractures frequently occur in frontal collisions when seatbelts tightly restrain the chest. Segmental rib fractures involving multiple ribs (also known as flail chest) increase the risk of potentially fatal associated injuries.
- Fractured sternum – The breastbone or sternum can break in high-speed crashes when the driver’s chest hits the steering wheel. This type of injury causes severe pain when breathing.
- Broken wrists – Wrists often break when vehicle occupants hold out their arms to brace before impact. The bones in the wrist are small and particularly prone to breaking.
- Fractured vertebrae – Spinal compression fractures occur when the impact forces the vertebral column into an unnatural position. These fractures can cause paralysis or chronic pain.
- Broken legs – Leg bones break easily in frontal collisions. Open, compound fractures with protruding bones can lead to infection.
How Are Bone Breaks Diagnosed and Treated?
Doctors diagnose fractures using X-rays, CT scans, or MRI scans. Treatment depends on fracture type, location, and severity. Possibilities include:
- Cast immobilization
- Surgical fixation with metal plates, screws, rods, or pins
- Bone grafts
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
Many diagnostic tools and treatments for skeletal breaks can come with steep costs, adding financial stress to an already challenging situation.
What Types of Damages Could You Recover for Broken Bone Injuries in St. Louis?
If another driver caused your broken bone injury in St. Louis, you could file a compensation claim for:
- Medical expenses – This category covers urgent care, hospitalization, surgery, devices, medication, and physical therapy.
- Lost income – If accident-related injuries prevent you from working, you can claim lost wages.
- Loss of future earnings – Permanent disabilities may impair your future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering – You can receive damages for physical and emotional trauma.
- Disfigurement – Visible scarring from lacerations or surgical incisions may warrant compensation.
Taking Legal Action for Broken Bone Injuries After a Car Accident
In Missouri, you generally have five years to file a personal injury lawsuit after a car accident. While this might seem like a long time, it is critical to act fast to preserve evidence and witnesses’ memories. Our experienced and skilled attorneys have the resources to immediately launch an investigation to secure the evidence you need.
An insurance adjuster may contact you soon after the accident but do not accept an early settlement offer before you know the full value of your claim. Their first offer will probably not be enough to cover your losses. Our experienced lawyers are ready to thoroughly calculate your losses and aggressively negotiate for the maximum compensation you deserve.
When Is a Broken Bone Injury Considered Catastrophic?
While most fractures heal without long-term effects, some broken bone injuries lead to life-altering disabilities and are deemed catastrophic. These include:
- Spinal cord injuries – Vertebral fractures that sever or compress the spinal cord cause paralysis and loss of bodily function.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Skull fractures that cause bleeding, swelling, or oxygen deprivation in the brain can lead to physical and cognitive impairment.
- Internal organ damage – Rib fractures that lacerate organs like the lungs or liver can have life-threatening effects.
- Amputations – Severe leg or arm fractures may require amputation if medical professionals cannot salvage the limbs. This outcome will necessitate profound lifestyle changes.
- Non-unions – Some fractures do not properly heal, and the bone does not reform. This type of break requires more extensive surgery.
Get Help from an Experienced Car Accident Attorney in St. Louis
At Sumner Law Group, LLC, our aggressive personal injury lawyers have recovered millions for car accident victims in St. Louis and surrounding areas of Missouri. We have the resources and dedication to handle even the most complex cases.
If you suffered broken bones in a crash caused by someone else, contact us 24/7 for a free claim review. We are ready to fight for all available compensation so you can focus on healing.