Airbags can save lives when they work as they should. However, when they malfunction, they have the potential to cause severe injuries and even death. If you were hurt by a defective or malfunctioning airbag in St. Louis or elsewhere in Missouri, you could be eligible for significant compensation for your accident-related losses. Let an experienced St. Louis airbag failure lawyer with Sumner Law Group, LLC, demand the money you deserve.
Airbag defect cases are often complicated and difficult to prove, but with more than a half-century of combined experience, extensive resources, industry connections, and a long track record of success, you can trust our firm with even the most complex cases.
Call us today or contact us online for a free consultation to learn more about how the St. Louis airbag failure attorneys at Sumner Law Group, LLC, can help you.
What Is a Defective Airbag?
Airbags are life-saving devices designed to lessen the impact of a collision and protect vehicle occupants from severe injuries. However, if an airbag fails to perform as expected due to a manufacturing flaw or design defect, what should be a protective device could instead become a danger.
Potential airbag malfunctions include instances where airbags fail to deploy in a collision, deploy without a crash, or cause injuries due to excessive force or defective components. Some defective airbags have produced fatal injuries through the forceful ejection of shrapnel.
What Types of Injuries Can You Sustain When an Airbag Fails?
Airbag failure can lead to serious injuries, including:
- Neck and back injuries
- Broken bones, especially ribs, sternum, arms, and shoulders
- Facial and chest lacerations
- Respiratory issues due to chemical exposure
- Internal injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Severe contusions (bruises)
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
An airbag that deploys too forcefully can cause traumatic injuries, while one that deploys unexpectedly can actually cause an accident. An airbag that fails to deploy when it should in a collision can leave vehicle occupants unprotected, resulting in more severe injuries than if the airbag had functioned properly.
Types of Airbag Defects That Cause Injuries in St. Louis
An airbag malfunction attorney can help you demand compensation if you’ve been injured by any of the following defects:
- Failing to Deploy – If an airbag does not deploy during a collision, vehicle occupants are unprotected and more susceptible to severe injuries.
- Deploying When It Shouldn’t – Airbags that deploy when they shouldn’t, such as during minor collisions, when hitting a pothole, or crossing railroad tracks, can inflict injuries and lead to potentially dangerous situations on the road.
- Defective Canister – The airbag’s canister, which houses the explosive material that inflates the airbag, can be a hazard if defective. A defective canister can explode with excessive force, sending shrapnel into the cabin and causing severe injuries.
- Improper Sensitivity – Sensors determine when an airbag should deploy. If these sensors are too sensitive or not sensitive enough, the airbag can deploy prematurely or fail to deploy in time to successfully cushion the impact.
- Improper Installation or Replacement – An airbag that has been improperly installed or replaced might not function as it should.
These are just a few examples of defects that can cause injuries. A thorough investigation by our experienced St. Louis airbag defect attorneys is essential to identify the exact cause of the failure and to hold the responsible parties accountable.
Who Is Responsible for Injuries Caused by Defective Airbags?
Many different people or companies could be responsible for a defective airbag that causes injuries, including the following:
- The vehicle manufacturer
- The airbag designer
- The airbag component manufacturer
- A mechanic who improperly installed or serviced the airbag
- A rental car agency that failed to repair a recalled vehicle
- A retailer who tampered with the airbag warning light
These parties have a duty to ensure that the airbags in their vehicles or those they service function correctly and do not pose an unnecessary risk to drivers or passengers. When they fail in this duty, they may be liable for any resulting injuries. To seek maximum compensation, you need the help of our skilled airbag failure lawyers in St. Louis.
Recovering Damages for Defective Airbag Injuries in St. Louis
If you were hurt by a defective airbag in St. Louis, you could be owed money for what you’ve suffered, including your:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Reduced earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If you’ve lost a loved one because of a fatal car accident involving a defective airbag, you could be entitled to compensation – and a measure of justice for the deceased – through a wrongful death suit. Speak with our faulty airbag lawyers to learn more about your options.
Why You Need Our St. Louis Airbag Failure Attorneys
Airbag failure cases can be complex, involving detailed technical analysis and often necessitating expert testimony from engineers and other industry specialists. The legal team at Sumner Law Group, LLC, has the resources, knowledge, and industry connections to handle these intricate cases effectively. We are prepared to work diligently to find out what really happened, identify all potentially liable parties, gather compelling evidence, and build a strong case for you.
Our commitment to our clients and tenacity in the courtroom are our hallmarks. Insurance companies and other big corporations recognize us as a firm that relentlessly pursues justice and fairness, and our results demonstrate why that is the case. That’s why they’re more willing to negotiate for a fair settlement, as they know we won’t hesitate to take them to court.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our St. Louis Airbag Failure Lawyers
When airbags don’t work as they should, their failure can cause pain, emotional turmoil, and financial uncertainty. But don’t let an airbag malfunction upend your life without seeking the justice you deserve. If someone else is to blame for what you suffered, you have the right to hold them accountable.
The team with Sumner Law Group, LLC, is ready to hear your story and discuss how we can help. Our attorneys give clients the individualized attention they need in pursuit of the results they deserve. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you won’t owe us a fee unless we successfully recover compensation for you.
Contact us today for a free consultation with our experienced St. Louis airbag failure lawyers. We will review your case, answer your questions, and help you understand your legal options. Let Sumner Law Group, LLC, be your advocate in this challenging time.